Recipe: BBQ Mushroom Sliders with Summer Slaw
SHARED by: Diana Arizpe, Chef and Educator at Kitchen Little Cooking School
We’re craving summer over here at Kitchen Little Cooking School and decided to have an indoor BBQ with “pulled pork” (OK, it’s really mushrooms) sliders and yummy summer slaw. It’s super simple and chances are the kiddos will eat it right up!
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
- Burger Buns – (your choice)
- 4 portabella mushrooms
- 1 small onion
- 2 cloves, finely chopped
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups ketchup
- 2 tsp paprika
- 3 tsp dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup apple cider or red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp celery seed
- 1 medium cabbage (thinly sliced)
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- salt and pepper
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
- Add onion and garlic to the pan. Slice mushrooms finely and add to pan. Cook 7-9 minutes or until soft. Remove from heat.
- Whisk apple cider vinegar, honey, oil, celery seed, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add shredded cabbage and carrot, toss to coat. Salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Combine a;; BBQ sauce ingredients except salt in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer. Simmer until thickened. Add salt to taste.
- Slice and brush buns with butter, toast.
- Pour BBQ sauce over the mushroom mixture, stirring thoroughly to coat. Scoop mushrooms onto a toasted bun, serve with coleslaw.