Halloween Hazards for Pets
SHARED by: JP Connolly, Biscuits and Bath
Halloween is a wonderful and fun time for you and your children. Whether it is trick or treating with your kids or dressing your pooch up for the Halloween Howl in Carl Schurz Park, there is so much fun to be had. Unfortunately, there are real dangers to your dog that you should have on your radar:
- CHOCOLATE – Chocolate is very dangerous for your dog and, in severe cases, can be fatal. Small doses of chocolate consumed can lead to vomiting and diarrhea. Other issues include hyperthermia (body overheating), cardiac arrhythmias, pancreatitis and respiratory failure in high doses. The darker the chocolate the more dangerous it can be. Keep it away from your hound.
- XYLITOL – This sweetener is present in everything from gum to sugar-free cookies. Even in small amounts, ingestion can cause low blood sugar, seizures, liver failure, and in some cases be life-threatening. Stay away!
- CANDY WRAPPERS – Ingestion of foil or cellophane wrappers can cause a life-threatening bowel obstruction, which could require surgery to correct. Watch for vomiting, decreased appetite, not defecating, straining to defecate or lethargy. X- Rays may be necessary to diagnose this problem. Don’t put yourself in that position. You don’t need that worry.
- COSTUMES – If you dress your pet in a costume, be sure it doesn’t impair their vision, movement or air intake. If the costume contains metallic beads, snaps or other small pieces, be cautious. If ingested, some metals (especially zinc and lead) can result in serious poisoning. Also, don’t be tempted to dye or apply coloring to your pet’s fur. Even if the dye is labeled non-toxic to humans, it could still be harmful to pets. NEVER leave your pet unattended in a costume! No first prize ribbon is worth risking your little guys health.
- CANDLES – Wagging tails or curious paws can easily knock over candles. We never recommend leaving a candle unattended with a pet (or small child) in the room. Not to mention the removal of candle wax from fur.
The spooktacular day can be fun for all the family if you are alert and take all the precautions. If you remain alert and keep a close eye on Fido everything should be fine.
Biscuits & Bath is a full-serve dog retreat offering everything from doggie daycare to dog walking. Their mission is to work with clients to positively impact the quality of life for each dog that they serve. They have been the leader and innovator in our industry for over 26 years by being relentless about continually raising the standard of excellence for dog care and client service.