Kitchen Little Recipe: Pumpkin Bites
Keeping the kids out of the kitchen during the holidays may be a challenge. Rather than start a battle, enjoy a cooking project together that the whole family will enjoy!
Pumpkin Pie Bites:
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1 (8oz) packaged cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 2 eggs + 1 egg for egg wash
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 frozen pie crust sheet (thawed to room temperature)
- Whipped cream (optional)
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour (or use nonstick cooking spray) a mini-muffin pan. Set aside.
- Roll the dough or pie crust out on a floured surface with a floured rolling pin.
- Using a round cookie or biscuit cutter (approximately 3 inches diameter) cut at least 24 rounds out ( or 12 rounds of each pie crust, if using store bought)
- Carefully press each round into the mini-muffin pan. Use your fingers to round the ends into a pie crust.
- Brush egg wash from one egg to the top edges of each pie.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Add eggs one at a time, beating each until combined.
- Add pumpkin puree and beat to combine. Stir in vanilla and pumpkin pie spice.
- Spoon mixture into each mini pie crust almost up to the top.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden around the edges.
- Remove from oven and let cool on a cooling rack, or chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Top with whipped cream and sprinkle with more pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon on top and before serving. Keep refrigerated.
* Pies will be puffy when they come out of the oven, but will sink back down when cooled.