Recipe: Rainbow Cake
While winter seems to be dragging on, Kitchen Little Cooking School has a recipe to brighten up your day. Make sure you have your little chef alongside you to help with this colorful creation!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup canola oil
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 (6 ounces) bag fresh baby spinach
- ½ cup mashed banana (from about 1 to 2 bananas)
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 Tub cream cheese frosting
- 1 Pack rainbow ribbon candy
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line two 12-cup muffin pans with paper liners.
- Whisk together dry ingredients in a large bowl: flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
- In a blender, place oil, milk, and spinach. Blend on high for about 30 seconds or until completely puréed. Add banana and vanilla; blend on low just to mix.
- Pour puréed mixture into dry mixture and fold together with a rubber spatula until completely combined.
- Fill muffin cups about ⅔ full and bake 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Scoop 1 tablespoon of frosting on two sides of the cakes to make clouds and insert candy to create a rainbow to finish.