Recipe: Parmesan and Herb Pinwheels
Summer is upon us and with the warm weather comes park picnics and barbeques. This recipe for Parmesan and Herb Pinwheels will be the perfect addition the next meal you enjoy alfresco. Served hot or cold, you can’t go wrong.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed but cold
- 12 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup minced herbs, packed (such as chives, dill, parsley, or tarragon)
- Optional additions: parmesan, lemon zest, finely minced garlic
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
- On a floured work surface, roll puff pastry out to between 1/16 and 1/8 inch thickness, about a 4 by 4 inch square.
- Score 4 slits from each corner without coming all the way to the center.
- Drop a dollop of cream cheese in the center. Evenly sprinkle on herbs (as well as any optional additions) and add salt.
- Heat oven to 375°F, with one rack in the upper third and another rack in the bottom third.
- Using a sharp knife, cut log into 1/4 inch slices and arrange on two parchment-lined aluminum baking sheets.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then rotate pans on racks and continue to bake until pastry is well-browned and crisp to the touch, about another 15 minutes.
- Transfer pinwheels to a cooling rack lined with paper towels to cool and drain before serving. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- To store, transfer pinwheels to a large, airy container and leave loosely covered in a cool dry place. Pinwheels will keep several days at room temperature. Frozen as a log, pastry will keep for weeks.
Tip: Interested in something sweet? Swap jelly out for the parmesan and herb filling!