Micah’s Method: 5-Step Foundation to Get Beginners Up and Riding
Gymtime is excited to launch our new Scoot and Skate beginning as a drop-in class this summer for ages 3.6-4.11 years. This fall we will expand the program to include ages 5 and older. Coach Micah will lead children through exercises and obstacle coaches both on and off the board. Here are his steps to get beginners up and riding.
The 5-Step Foundation:
- Doughboy: these activities involve flat scoots that are all seated and laying flat on your stomach or back to get a feel for being on the board while it’s moving.
- Gravity: standing on your knees.
- Mayfly: standing on your knees, learn to turn, accelerate and brake.
- Synergy: two feet on the board, crouching low to the board.
- Metropolis: standing on two feet, vertically while pedaling and braking.
- Step on and push test L/R for beginner placement
- Proper Stance
- 1 Foot Coasting
- Foot Braking
- Turning Basics
- Falling Correctly – Rolling Basics End-Overs
- Riding Low
- Fakie and Switch Stance Carving
- Kick Turns (180)
- One Footed Turns
- Rolling Fakie and Switch Cross Stepping Slalom With Cones Rolling Off Curbs
- Tail Stalls Honey Butter Power Slides Ollie On Flat Etchings Kangaroo Hops