Kitchen Little Recipe: Vegan Beet Pudding
This week, the Kitchen is whipping up Vegan Beet Bread Pudding! A sweet and savory treat!
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
- 1 loaf dry bread, cubed
- 2 cups roasted red beets, cubed
- 3 Tablespoons Vegan Earth Balance Buttery Spread, melted
- 2 cups beet juice flax gel (recipe below, or use 1 cup of beet juice and 4 eggs)
- 2 teaspoon each rosemary, thyme, parsley, oregano, and chive
- 1 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- (If you would like to add cheese, 1 cup feta)
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place cubed bread in a large bowl.
- Add roasted beets (and Feta, if using). Stir to combine.
- In a separate bowl mix together flax gel (or egg & beet juice), Earth Balance, and spices.
- Pour over liquid over bread mixture and stir to coat everything.
- Pour into a 9×12 baking dish and bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes, or until the tester comes out clean.
- Serve with arugula salad for a great lunch.
BEET FLAX GEL:
3 cups beet juice, 3 cups water, ⅔ cup flax seeds
Put all ingredients in a pot, bring to a boil, reduce to low and stirring occasionally for 25 minutes. Stain through a mesh strainer, keeping the liquid and discarding the seeds. This will be thinner than a normal flax gel because of the beet juice. It replaces liquid in the recipe as well as the egg.