Holiday Sugar Cookies from Kitchen Little
Here’s a healthier take on the traditional sugar cookie. This vegan recipe avoids the use of refined sugar and instead uses maple syrup and apple sauce to sweeten the dough. Food coloring is used to decorate the cookies, without the added sugar. You can always jazz it up with some mini chocolate chips and raisins.
Holiday Sugar Cookie
(makes about 30 cookies)
What You’ll Need:
- 1 3/4 Cup All Purpose Flour, plus more for rolling
- 1/2 Cup Maple Syrup
- 1/4 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/8 teaspoon Fine Sea Salt
- 3/4 Cup Vegetable Oil
- 1/3 Cup Apple Sauce
- 1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Red, Green, Yellow and Blue Food Coloring
What You’ll Do:
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper
- In a large bowl, combine flour, salt and baking powder. Slowly mix in the maple syrup, apple sauce and vegetable oil.
- Chill dough in the refrigerator for one hour. Flour a cutting board and rolling pin. Roll out the dough into 1/8 inch thickness and cut out fun holiday shapes.
- Paint the dough with food coloring and bake in the preheated oven for 7-8 minutes or until the edges are golden brown.