Kitchen Little Apple Monsters and Spiders… OH MY!
SHARED by: Erica Lin, Head Chef and Educator of Kitchen Little Cooking School
Halloween is around the corner and we wanted to celebrate with a healthy, spooky treat that is fun to make AND to eat!
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
- 1 Apple (makes 8 monsters or spiders)
- 1 and 1/3 cup plus 2 teaspoons nut-free butter spread
- Puffed rice cereal
- 4 red grapes, each sliced vertically in half
- 16 chocolate chips
- Pretzel Sticks
WHAT YOU’LL DO for APPLE MONSTERS:
- Quarter and core the apple, then quarter each piece again to equal 16 thin slices.
- Spread 1 teaspoon of nut-free butter on each apple slice.
- Lay half of the apple slices on top of the other halves (matching up nut-free butter sides so the apple slices stick together) to create the “mouth.”
- Push puffed rice “teeth” gently into the nut-free butter, all around the mouth, leaving room to place a red grape as the “tongue”
- For the eyes, slice the ends off of the green grape the cut each grape in half horizontally (you might get more than two eyes from each grape). Use the tip of the knife to make a small slit in the top of the grape half and place a chocolate chip with the pointy side down.
- Place two small dollops of nut-free butter on the top portion of each mouth, then gently press a grape eye onto each dollop.
- Enjoy immediately or store in the refrigerator for up to two hours before serving.
WHAT YOU’LL DO FOR APPLE SPIDERS:
- Spread 1 teaspoon of nut butter on an apple slice. Place 8 pretzel sticks to make the spider legs. Place two mini chocolate chips on top of another apple slice. Place this apple slice on top of your spider and enjoy!